Re: Character creation question

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:04:34 -0700

>We use the umbrella method of dealing with Keywords and allow people
>to pretty freely define their Occupation/Expertise Keyword.

I think this is optimal myself.

Note that the umbrella approach works fine with well-defined keywords (though they were really intended to keep you from having to write all the standard abilities on your sheet).

>I really like the umbrella method since it doesn't need massaging to
>accommodate some of the "out-there" fields of Expertise people can
>come up with... like, say, "Outlaw Jedi Archivist" which might need
>two (or more!) keywords in a more prescriptive descriptive framework.

Or you could say that you minimax by making your own keywords. In a totally good way -- you have a cooler keyword, and room for more distinctive abilities. But you're not getting anything that lets you overmatch other PCs.

--

David Dunham