Re: Re: Character creation question

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:17:25 -0400

David Dunham wrote:

>I don't think this is really necessary.

You know, I really screwed my argument with the choice of the word "police". ^_^

I meant far more "need to have a talk about it and see what makes sense with you and the player".
Or, you know, "pay attention to".

>For one thing, two different characters are likely to specialize in
>what they improve -- or even put -- under the umbrella keyword. For
>another, players will make use of the keyword differently -- I might
>emphasize the fists while you emphasize the Quote Scripture.

Absolutely.

>And the rules have help against overuse of broad abilities, which
>keywords certainly are.

Well that's an interesting point.
I find that the rules certainly seem to imply that since a keyword has a plethora of smaller actual abilities under it, it *doesn't* get hit with stretch penalties and the like.

>And this also suggests that keywords can be unique -- nobody else can
>be the Last.

*smile*
Fair enough. (Although he can always be wrong about that.)

>We generally leave this up to the player, though there often is a
>brief discussion. There's seldom a clear-cut rules advantage to one
>or the other, so we're not worried about play balance.

Which is really what I meant to get at with the terribly-phrased "police".

LC