Re: Mysticism question

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 18:20:54 +0200

Alex :

> Me :
> > A Paradox of Mysticism is that it's (much) easier to write it up for a heavily
> > simulationist system (aka RQ : see Sandy's worthy attempt), than for the easy,
> > storytelling HW system.
>
> I think that's probably unfair (on HW and Sandy). Or possibly
> over-generous (on RQ and Greg...). Perhaps Sandy just rolled a
> '1', and Greg a '20'? (To steal from Charles Corrigan, though
> hopefully to get the numbers the right way round <g>.)

Undoublethinkwise, Sandy, Greg, and the HW illuminati have all done their best : it's a difficult chapter to write.

> I think HW is reasonable on the 'gist' of mysticism.

Certainly.

But the Mysticism rules probably had too little off-list pre-publication attention from those in the know (as compared to Shamanism, for example). (non-ad-hominem-wise : Mysticism is a big bite to chew all on one go)

> I'm confident later books will do better, on all these scores.

Me too.

As soon as the first Cultural Books are out, and there's a better idea of what HW nitty-gritty looks like*, there'll hopefully be a better idea of what to Refute, and how ...

Hoping that the East won't get buried again ...

Cheers,

Julian

*HW pp.119-120 being a good place to start