Re: Re: Character creation question

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:05:52 +1100

2009/10/23 David Dunham <david_at_...>
> Or you could say that you minimax by making your own keywords. In a
> totally good way -- you have a cooler keyword, and room for more
> distinctive abilities. But you're not getting anything that lets you
> overmatch other PCs.

If minmax means "getting the most optimal result" and "optimal" in HQ2 is defined as "most productive of interesting narrative" then I totally agree that this is minmaxing!

Minmaxing is a fairly fraught piece of terminology in my local environment though; people use it almost exclusive to criticise games like Dungeons and Dragons and the people who play them. I've been steadily rehabilitating "metagaming" but haven't yet taken on "minmaxing".

You are quite right though David, if everyone can define their expertise it's not too problematic - as long as it equips everyone with the ability to do interesting stuff with their own schtick.

--
John Machin