Re: Hurts and bumping contests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:30:28 -0800

Stephen

>There were two things that I always hard to work round using Hero
>Wars and HeroQuest.
>
>One was the fact that the winners of a contest were almost always
>unhurt and so it was difficult to do the long term running out of
>resources type story.

Four words: Climactic Scene Consequence Table. I occasionally use it during rising action if it makes sense that a scene have a different feel.

>One is the basic variability of results and the need to use hero
>points to get results which means you are spending your experience
>points. That is the same problem I had in TORG.

If you want to make sure they improve skills (and this is not a part of all games or genres), give them directed improvements. We tend to make this loose -- if someone distinguishes themselves in a debate, the GM might say "take a +1 in one of the abilities you used to persuade the Duma."

>In the first edition HQ you could, in an extended contest, exchange
>7 AP taken for a hurt.

A great idea (it was mine) but it didn't really work that well in practice.

--

David Dunham