Re: Re: Umbrella keyword and specific abilitie bonuses

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:24:23 -0500

Jeff wrote:

> This is the key point. A farmer that has put points into a specific
> fighting ability can be match for any Mercenary. Let me give a
> literary example - in many of the Icelandic sagas, the heroes are
> Farmers, not Mercenaries. Yet they are skilled fighters, routinely
> killing berserks and other Mercenaries. That's how I feel Sartar is -
> most men are fighters. A bold farmer can be a match for any huscarl of
> the king.
>
> HQ2 works on these sorts of literary tropes (other games do as well,
> but they are usually hidden within the assumptions of the rules system).

*nod*
Absolutely. And as said, I'd probably only give the +3 because it is two PCs. Facing off against mercenary NPCs, I'd expect the farmer to be a match for them in a Glorantha-esque setting. Depends entirely on the feel of the story and whether the Players feel their PCs are represented correctly.

> > What you're neglecting is that a mercenary is likely to have a lot
> > more abilities to augment with. And have skills relating to what
> > leads up to the fight (scouting, making camp, being on watch).
>
> Also, I have noticed that the Air + Movement rune or Air + Death +
> Movement rune combinations seems far more common amongst mercenaries
> than amongst player character farmers.

That's a good point.