Re: Re: Augment-only stats

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:37:06 -0500

  Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

> I think the "augment only" is a perfectly valid mechanic for certain
> kinds of magics.

Why only magics?

> While the difference to just using a credibility test is minor, it is
> a nice sharp edge that can help keep things clear: "Ability X is
> something that you use to augment other actions, not something that is
> used on its own."
>
> Especially in cases where there is no supporting fiction (world
> emerges from play, as opposed to a fixed setting like Glorantha), it
> is a great communication aid:

I see you point, but don't really agree.

> "Can my character have <<Insert Really Cool Name Here>> as an
> augment-only magical ability?"
>
> vs
>
> "Can my character have <<Insert Really Cool Name Here>> as a magical
> ability? It'd be mostly used to augment stuff, but could also be used
> on its own?"
>

> In the latter case unless the game is pretty freewheeling or the group
> has a strong common aesthetic, you need to talk a fair bit more in
> order to make sure you are on the same page.

You have to do that in the first case, too, IMO. Whenever you come up with <REALLY COOL NAME> you have to explain what you mean by it or agree to explore it in play.

> If you have strong
> supporting fiction or pre-estabilished world, the credibility test is
> easier to apply.

This is absolutely true, of course. It's like Tax Attorney as an ability, if everyone kind of knows what a Tax Attorney does, then it isn't a problem.

> That said, I would read it as more of a strong guideline than an
> infallible rule -- if a situation arises where it is more credible for
> the ability to be used on its own than as an augment, sure... just as
> long as everyone is clear that something strange is going on.

I don't mind it as a guideline, since that puts it back in the sphere of "judgment of credibility", which makes it just like any other ability.

> PS. For burning a house the obvious base abilities are "Mercenary",
> "Henchman", "Barbarian Invader", and the default 6 for those rare few
> characters with no equivalent abilities. Since IIRC Heortlings are a
> nudist colony of rain-worshippers, I would go with the default 6. :P
>
> _

LOL! True. I'd accept that ruling.

LC