Re: Re: Augment-only stats

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:28:13 -0500

  Aescleal (Ashley Munday) wrote:

> I can't speak for The Creator Himself or his Prophet*

Yeah, I'd drop the Prophet thing. :)

> but my reasoning for
> the rule is that "Fire affinity" is never an appropriate ability to
> use for
> a contest if you're a lay member. It never passes the credibility
> test, it
> never makes sense. The rule is a statement of the credibility test.

I think that's probably the best way to justify it. I think I find that so hard to accept due to the way I use the HQ2 rules. In my mind, the contest is always the most relevant to the dramatic arc of the story. I am the kind of person who has had sword fights settled with "Loves His Sister" when that's appropriate. In this view, it is extremely hard to justify "cannot be used as an active ability" as a credibility test.

> However
> as I said in the previous mail it could make things a lot more
> interesting
> if I relax that. As I said I'll think about it and maybe give it a try
> - I'm
> broadly in agreement with your position.

*nod* I don't think we're far apart. And, as I said, in >90% of the time (probably higher) it would still only get used as an augment if used at all, because the credibility tests established guide it to that interpretation.

> Of course there's always the slight problem that every adventurer at
> the mo
> in my game is actually an initiate so it might be a while before I get to
> try it out.

That can be a problem. :)
When I have played Glorantha, people looked for ways to not be initiates. I am actually MUCH happier with the magic system proposed for the Orlanthi in S:KoH and when I have time will be going back to looking at ways that approach can be applied to other cultures. But laypeople finally have decent magic with sacrifices and one-shot magic and so certain things work far better for me now. (And most issues I do have are ones where - like the augment only thing - decisions were made to try and get an effect that invoked rules I didn't think necessary to accomplish that. These are really minor, and easily tweaked if I ever feel they matter.)

LC