Re: Augment-only stats

From: Tim <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:45:31 -0000

> It's not about what "makes sense" or about player disappointment.
> It's about making a narrative that entertains. There is nothing else
> to it.

Except if it doesn't "make sense", or if it disappointing players it is unlikely to be an entertaining narrative, because it is straining the necessary suspension of disbelief...

I will accept that player disappointment may be due to their expectations not matching the "HQ2" mindset, but I don't think that it will either alleviate their disappointment, or encourage them to keep playing if you just say to them "Oh, You don't just get it - try harder". Saying "Lay Members can only use their rune affinities to augment" might be broadly the same as saying "Lay members can't cause any obviously supernatural effects with their rune affinities", but it does so in a simple and non-ambiguous manner that will help manage their expectations of what is possible. If they come up with something that is a borderline case of whether it is "active" use of their magic, you can still chose to allow it, but it is clear that it is stretching the boundaries of credibility. Ruling to disallow it is "obviously" applying the rules rather than "The GM not letting me do ..."