Genre rules

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:56:39 -0800

Jamie

>The core rules express all types of story BUT the core rules are
>non-specific, so when we move into a specific genre should we narrow
>down or expand on the rules to help define the genre?

One rules philosophy is that the game rules reflect what you want to players to do. So when RQ came out, the rules suggested that characters didn't specialize in the way D&D characters did.

Pendragon has rules for running a generational campaign. You can obviously run a multi-year game without, but the aging and childbirth rules helped support this.

In many ways, Glorantha is all about magic, and by having a few rules devoted to magic, HQ (as extended by Sartar: KoH) promotes this.

(BTW, my Anadikki game was intended to be generational, so I added a few Pendragon-like rules to HQ. As it happened, these rules ended up generating huge amounts of campaign fun, thanks to how the players interpreted a few die rolls.)

--

David Dunham