Re: Ditching the difficulty increase rule?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:37:25 -0000

Keep in mind that difficulty levels represent the difficulty of a plot obstacle, not the abstract difficulty of doing a specific task. So for example, we had a situation not too long ago where our heroes needed to jump across a chasm in a ruined temple as they searched for lost treasure. So they needed to overcome Moderate resistance (i think, maybe it was Hard). When they found it, they quickly discovered that the treasure's owner was not happy and they fled back like scared rabbits. Again they came to the chasm - but this time the resistance was Very Hard (they were being chased, they had no time to look for the best place to leap, and they had only one chance). Same chasm, same adventure, different resistance levels.

Jeff