Re: Character Development

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:30:47 -0800

Adam

>For those who have run/played in longer campaigns with Heroquest 2,
>how have characters developed ability wise? I can very much see
>players raising only few abilities. I know there is the catch up
>rule you can implement every time you gain a mastery to help with
>this, but this seems like it would only encourage sticking within
>your best abilities. So if you are a combat monster you would stick
>with your butt kicking abilities, and if you're a techie you'd stick
>with your fixing/inventing/modifying abilities. Is this what you
>have experienced through play?

I think it's inevitable that most of your improvement ends up directly related to your character concept. The catch up is a nice way to allow players to broaden themselves a bit.

I don't remember the specifics from our long-running HQ2 game, but there definitely were improvements outside the top abilities. In particular, characters tend to add new Relationship abilities. Or cement items they acquire.

And in a Glorantha game, religious status can be a parallel goal. (One character even gave up a number of abilities as part of becoming a devotee!)

As Narrator I like to assign directed improvements to things that aren't the character's best (on the assumption that they'll be going up anyway).

Finally, I just want to point out that not all games are about character improvement. We've had a number of shorter games where it isn't at all relevant.

--

David Dunham