Re: Re: Ditching the difficulty increase rule?

From: Frédéric Cloutier <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:41:05 -0500

Reading the exchange below, it sounds like the "difficulty increase" rule is only a meta rule to tell the GM "don't forget to come up with an interesting challenge as they get better. Here is the number you should use and come up with whatever reasoning to justify it".

While I can appreciate the intention and can find the rule an interesting guideline, I sure don't need it to keep my game from becoming dull. I always think about what would make the challenge interesting this time (the tiles came loose since the last time, the bad guys are shooting arrowns at the same time) and then come up with the modifiers and never the other way around (oh, the game tells me I should find enough challenges to come up with that difficulty rating).

So I guess my answer to the OP (Adam?) is ditching the difficulty increase rule will not make your game dull as long as you, as the GM, keep the challenges interesting. Having said that, I haven't seen the rules yet so something might escape my grasp.