Re: Vancian Magic

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:03:37 +0000 (GMT)

>> Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus_at_...>

I realized something is outright broken in my idea as outlined: if you want to have a decent chance of being able to cast a powerful spell you make it a breakout ability -- which means you can also cast it multiple times. Oops, not what I wanted.

That's not a problem if the genre requires that spells can be only cast once then all you need to do is mark down that you have used certain spells.

As to realizing the depletion of resources, there is always the resource depletion table on p89 (HQ2 rules). Each player has a magic resource that gets depleted every time they cast a spell. When you have no magic resource left you can't use magic anymore. If you want to be mean then this Magic Resource is also the ability needed to cast spells!

Alternatively with two abilities (Casting and Resource) it slows down development of magic as you need to develop them separately. If you decide that each spell has to be learned individually then you definitely slow everything down. The player may have a super effective spell that he has invested a lot of points in it, but if he can only cast it once in a day then it does limit its dominance of a game. Also splitting points between multiple spells means that it may be effective from its description but spreading HP about limits its final TN and so reduces the number of times it works properly.

Gavain