Re: Re: Resources: Cementing vs. Bolstering

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:50:55 +0000

On 11 Feb 2010, at 13:05, ferguswindbag wrote:

>> .
>
> I think the implication is that if it's a penalty, it's the PC
> that's eating that anyway. But a humungously good background result
> isn't something I'm holding my breath waiting for, as the ratings
> are (and are always going to be) relatively close to 'even'.
> Rather, what I'm wondering is, if cementing is supposed to be a
> session's play (and bolstering possibly even moreso), isn't there a
> huge disincentive to even bothering? The point, surely, is to get
> the PCs more involved in the management of their community, not make
> it seem like a chore.

You're only going to try to cement a positive result in the first place. Now aside from hopefully providing a scenario for the evening's play - and if that isn't fun you;re doing it wrong - either cementing or bolstering should improve the heroes standing in the community and give them a better chance to use those community resources for their own goals. And the higher the resource ratings the more help that is.

It seems like there should be enough of an incentive there.