Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:25:18 -0800

On 13 Feb 2010, at 21:56, Hal Bowman wrote:

> Maybe it's just my "simulationist" bais, but I am finding it hard to handle the difficulty levels, stretch and credibility check aspects of the game.

Oh, and a stretch has nothing to do with simulation. It's a way to deal with loosely defined abilities. Can you really use your "Find Food Anywhere" ability to locate a cookbook in a library? That might be credible in your game if it's a magical ability, but a cookbook isn't food, so it's a stretch. How about using your "Wine Snob" to get a good seat at a fancy restaurant? If you were using it on the sommelier it would be appropriate, on the maitre d', it's a stretch.

I've found that players have a pretty good sense of when they're stretching things -- I've never had anyone argue that something is NOT a stretch after I've said it is.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein