Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:50:55 -0000

> David and Trotsky, thanks for the insights.
>
> I guess I am too much a simulationist to use HQ straight.

It is worth going back to the literary sources of gaming. Reread a Conan short story. Things are difficult because of the pacing requirements of the story. Sometimes Conan scrambles up and down a cliff wall with hardly a thought; sometimes it is the center of the action. Sometimes Conan can slay a gigantic demon-snake in a sentence; sometimes it is two pages of action.

This isn't that the cliff wall was easier to climb in one story than in the other or that Conan had gotten better at climbing from one story to the next; it is that the cliff wall was *more important* in one story than in the other.

Jeff