Re: Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:51:21 -0500

Hal Bowman wrote:

> Jeff. I get the point of HQ being literary - the rule book even says
> that trying for simulation won't work. I'm just telling you my
> players will make it hard on me. Now I'm finished moaning.
>
> Player 1: "How far away is the guard?"
> Hal: "Um...what do you want to know for?"
> Player: (with confused look) "I want to know if he is in range of my bow."
> Hal: (Consults Pass-Fail chart, because he has no idea about bows) "It
> is pretty far, probably a Hard shot"
> Player 1 : "OK."
> Player 2: "I want to throw my knife at him. How hard would that be?"
> Hal: "Um...too far, it doesn't pass the credibilty test?" (Starts
> digging around for another rule book, because he doesn't like where
> this is going.)
> Player 2: "How about my spear, instead?"
> Hal: "Um...

That doesn't seem like your players are making it hard on you there. They're just asking about range.

He's in bow range but out of knife range. Is he in spear range? Could be, is that interesting? Mind you, I wouldn't care if the shot was "hard" or not. What are you trying to do? Take out the guard? That's hard. Distract the guard while everyone else sneaks in? Maybe that's easy. Trying to get into the castle and you want to use the Pass-Fail cycle? Then whatever they try it is hard, and tack a bonus on or not if once they've established how, they come up with something clever.

Admittedly, that's me and how my brain works.

LC