Re: Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:08:36 -0500

Everything David says of course.

Here's how I am likely to handle something like this.

Player 1: "How far away is the guard?"
LC: "Um...what do you want to know for?" Player: "I want to know if he is in range of my bow." LC: So you want to take out the guard to do what? Player 1: I take him out, we sneak in.
LC: (Consults Pass-Fail chart, because he has no specific reason for it to be any given difficulty.) It's going to be pretty Hard to get past him. Player 2: How about if I use my knife?
LC: Well, here's the deal. With the bow, you can peg him from further away, but that means more distance for you to cover after you've dropped him. Hopefully no one finds the body or spots you dashing in. With the knife, you need to get closer, so there's the possibility of being spotted then. But once you've dropped him - knives don't have the penetrating power of a bow, so you're taking a risk there - you will be closer in. Either way, it's going to be hard to do, but not insurmountable. Player 2: She's way better with her bow than I am with my knife. I say shoot him and we dash.
etc...

In other words, it's hard no matter what tool they use because it is about their goal, not their activity. (Of course, I might want to specify for some in-world reason that it is easier one way than another - Fighting through the guards is Very Hard, sneaking past them is Easy.) Then it is a matter of which tools/abilities they bring to bear which determines how likely they are to be successful.

LC