Re: Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:14:54 -0500

  Trotsky wrote:

> I've heard this argument before, and I'm really not convinced by it.
> Especially since HQ1 seemed to get the balance about right

See, I didn't find that at all. Or maybe in the act of trying to get that balance, it produced the other problems. At the same time, I do think the "rolling scale" of HQ1 had some very strong elements in it that I liked that have become muted in HQ2.

> (although it
> had other problems). I think a problem with recent RPGs has been that
> nobody seems to even be really trying to produce systems that strike the
> balance I prefer any more, and that's a pity.

*nod*

I do think some kind of balance could be struck, I'm just not sure it can be struck in a single mechanic. I wish I was more of a designer, because I'd be tempted to try and tinker to find one that does do it to my satisfaction.