Re: Narrative characteristics

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:12:33 -0700

On 20 Jun 2010, at 09:01, connruadan wrote:

> I don't know if this issue has already been adressed : if so, it would be kind to point me to the relevant posts.
> If not, then I would like to know what you would think about reintroducing "light characteristics" in HQ. In Sorcerer (from Ron Edwards) or in Maelstrom Storytelling (from Christian Aldridge),for instance, you have those broad characteristics respectively named Stamina/Mind or Mind/Matter/Spirit/Chaos.

I'm not familiar with those systems so I could be missing the point. So I'm not sure if you're asking whether it's OK to add a set of rules for characteristics in addition to HQ's unified ability system, or something else.

Certainly if in your game it makes sense that everyone has a Stamina rating and a Mind rating (other than default 6) you could do that. To me those sound awfully boring, however. Better off having a character with abilities like Second Wind or Absent-Minded Genius. Easier to create stories from than "I overcome this obstacle with Mind."

Not having a useful ability is possible -- social situations often put combat-centric characters at a loss -- but with a reasonable set of interesting abilities it's less common than you might think. Especially if you encourage as-you-go character creation, which lets players fill in the abilities that fit the actual game.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein