Re: Narrative characteristics

From: connruadan <connruadan_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:56:30 -0000

> Not having a useful ability is possible -- social situations often put combat-centric characters at a loss -- but with a reasonable set of interesting abilities it's less common than you might think. Especially if you encourage as-you-go character creation, which lets players fill in the abilities that fit the actual game.

I was mainly aiming at providing players with what you depict as "a reasonable set of interesting abilities". I wanted to make it compulsory to have at least a body and a mind ability (whether broad/keyword or not). I understand quite well why my attempt is flawed for the "interesting" part : such characteristics are too plain & boring. Your advice answers the other part (the "reasonable set" one). My question came from my experience with new players : HQ2 offers "too much" freedom to create your character. You can then easily miss something important and end up with a not reasonable set of still interesting abilities (having built a too focused character for instance). The as-you-go method will surely prevent most of these problems. For the list and narrative methods, I guess I have to remind players that their character is a whole : body, mind, relationships, magic, religion, etc. It may help not forgetting something important.