Re: Re: Narrative characteristics

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:35:53 -0700

On 20 Jun 2010, at 14:27, L C wrote:

> There's no reason not to do that in HQ2, I suppose. In fact, given how
> the bounty hunter example divvies up the ability, it would be easy to
> ask people to divide abilities among four such characteristics to get a
> handle on how to interpret them.

Normally there's no mechanical impact of categorizing (and in any long-running game I'll just alphabetize so I can find stuff). You'll note that the ex-counterinsurgent has an entirely different scheme. Furthermore, it's really hard to assign a broad ability into one category. Is Warrior "Mind" (oriental-style training) or "Matter" (Sun Country shield push)?

Better would to to decide on the spot. If there is really a bonus, then apply it depending on how the player describes things. "I circle cautiously, hoping my opponent reveals a flaw in his style" is different from "I dart in, raining blows left and right with lightning speed."

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein