Re: Bidding Extended Contests in HQ2

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:29:46 -0400

The Risky Gambits and Defensive moves? (Or whatever they are called? I don't have my book with me.)

I've offered them to my players, but mostly the players didn't take them. They certainly seem to give some flexibility back.

If I recall, the bonuses were just a +1 or -1 to the result there?

We no longer have the back and forth of transfers, nor the back and forth of picking different abilities to force conflicts on preferable footing.
(That's part of the "power to the player" mindset of HQ2 and I'm not sure how much I miss it.)

I do think that my issue with Extended contests is that while the results are clearer, the process seems to have become duller.

I can't see something like Mike Holmes' dungeon crawl being done well by the new extended contests. (IT was replicated in that HQ2 dungeon crawl thread on RPG net mentioned recently.)

I still don't like the feeling that players have little ability to escalate. (A simple contest to an extended, an extended to a climactic action, etc.) Something about that feels wrong, although I'm not sure how to fix it.

I've toyed with the idea that the next time I play I will allow lingering benefits and penalties to operate within an Extended contest, to simulate the feel of the player's decisions and rolls actually having some kind of effect.

LC