Re: Bidding Extended Contests in HQ2

From: orlanthumathi <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:34:23 -0000

I whole heartedly agree with your thoughts. I think the best way to go would be a lower number of points involved - not keyed to skills at all - but with a reintroduction of some kind of bidding process.

When I first read the rules I saw direct similarities with In A Wicked Age (except in that game you dont really frame the conflict as such), but HQ2 is not as elegent, requires cross reference (all be it simple) and dosn't have as definitive a mechanical effect at the end.

I would love an extended conflict that was about directly confronting character skills and conversely involved risk. But I wonder if such a game would still be HQ2.

I would actively avoid extended conflicts in their current form because they don't seem to achive what I want, which is exploration of the conflict, illumination of motives and a test of how important victory is.

Jamie