Re: Re: A Continuum Con Report., just like Greg implied he wanted! :)

From: Fred Schiff <fschiff_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:14:18 -0400

Was at a Border's bookstore today, and heard a mother reading a Star Wars book to her children. She was talking about the all-encompassing Force, and the good Jedis and evil Sith, etc. When she said something about how could Anakin Skywalker fell to the dark side of the Force, I piped in with, "because the writers are morons." She laughed and then got a bit annoyed at me, so I left. Didn't want to interrupt her pagan/xtran/mormon/reformed/rearranged new church of the Jedi :)

Didn't religious instruction, involve, I don't know, actual religions in the past? She was reading from a children's book, and it sounded pretty sincere, but I just thought it was odd.

Making a mechanical good point/bad point system is not the way to go to model Star Wars. In HeroQuest terms the "Dark Side" is a Flaw that has to be overcome. Overcome it and you're a Jedi. Embrace it, take the easy way out (give in to your baser emotions, etc.) and you fail.

In the prequel movies, Anakin is never a hero. He is a whiny, petulant man child, who does the wrong thing consistently. Committing genocide cause you got mad that you didn't save your mommy from the bad guys is not the act of a hero. Killing a prisoner is not the act of a hero. Killing innocent children is certainly not the act of a hero. If his destiny is "Reconcile the Jedi and Sith", in HeroQuest terms he might have that as a ability. He fails at this, and accomplishes his destiny by killing all the Jedi. Not exactly the correct action, but pretty predictable considering how he was raised and his choices. Yeah, he "Reconciled the Jedi and Sith", but it was in the easiest way possible.

Luke meets evil. Its says, "join us, become one of us." Then it commands, "Your hate makes you strong. Go kill that unarmed man."  Its the hero moment, and Luke says, "No. I'm a Jedi and we don't do that."