Re: Narrative characteristics

From: Tim <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:14:30 -0000

> I don't know if it's the right place to discuss about a
> "conversion" of Planescape to HQ2, but if it's the case I would
> like to have your opinion.

I know (next to) nothing about Planescape - it arrived on the screen in between me changing groups and no longer playing D&D and having sufficient spare cash to acquire interseting looking games books for games I wasn't actively playing...

Not that need stop me having an opinion!

> You might say you would have done otherwise or not begin with
> character building first. You're welcome !

Character building strikes me as an excellent place to start, especially for a Heroquest style game, which is all about the characters.

> What would cultural keywords be ? What would they embody (plane of
> origin, beliefs as well, etc) ? …

A keyword (cultural or otherwise) embodies those things common to whatever the keyword describes, with the caveat that you don't really need a keyword to describe something common to all the characters, particularly if it isn't something likely to be used in a contest - so if all your pc's are humans from the prime material plane, you don't need to worry too much about what abilities that gives them ("Walk on Earth", "Breath Air" etc)

Exactly what needs to go into a keyword depends to an extent how you intend to use them (there is discussion of this in the rulebook, I don't have my dopy to hand to give you a page reference) - If your players are familiar with the setting already you can probably get away with less detail than if they are also intended to act as a "thumbnail sketch" to introduce culture/class/race/plane of origin

> There are many more questions awaiting answers : how to modelize
> faction belief (affinity again?)

Just a straightforward ability perhaps, or if it encompasses a number of abilities, a keyword of some sort

> I really like the 3 kinds of magic in the gloranthan part of the
> HQ2 book (and in the Sartar one as well). So, for "my Planescape", > I wanted to have affinities describe both what is important for
> characters and what they're made of. In this view, each mortal
> being is the fusion of two substances : matter & spirit, each of
> those being itself a peculiar combination of, respectively,
> elements (air, earth, fire, water, life & entropy) and "morality
> bricks/basics" (law, chaos, good, evil & neutrality). Each player
> would then build a character with 3 affinities :

Sounds good.

I'd suggest trying to write character descriptions (don't worry about the numbers yet) for a few NPC's (or PC's of an existing game) in a HQ format (100 word description or list). This should give you an idea of what your keywords will need to be - try posting a couple here if you want more advice - although bear in mind it might depend on how you want your game to proceed