Re: Re: Narrative characteristics

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:14:23 -0400

connruadan wrote:

> - L C : I agree with you, community rules are a must for Planescaoe
> factions & politics (remember, kriegstanz ?).

Just off the top of my head it seems that if you throw all the players into, say, the Godsmen, tracking their wealth, power, magic, etc by way of the community rules with bonuses for specific players actions just flows naturally.

> I agree as well on Planescape sharing ideas with Glorantha :
> especially the world-view clash. Did you have something in mind when
> you wrote that ? Or could you please develop further ?

I was thinking that for some versions of Glorantha, there may be a ultimate truth but it is largely unknowable - the belief system you adhere to trying to get there is more important. That resembles the factions a lot, especially how some groups would be natural allies based on temporal goals but their philosophies cause massive conflict. Playing games dealing with those conflicts lies at the heart of both worlds, I'd say.

> And on top of that, I totally agree with your opinion on Planescape
> Torment from which my conversion will without doubt draw heavily !!!

And for this you will have nothing but my support and joy. (Even in this day of Dragon Age, that game holds up surprisingly well and I would LOVE a version updated to modern tech.)

> - Trotsky : (about faction abilities) I'm still not sure which way I
> will do it : like an affinity for its magical effects with another
> ability standing for acquaintances, philosophical knowledge,
> ressources or otherwise ?

Remember you can do it any number of ways. Specifying something out as an ability or keyword puts an emphasis on it that may not be necessary or may be very necessary depending on how you're playing a given game. For one style of game, a single keyword covering everything from faction relations to faction magic makes sense - possibly with the umbrella method to finesse them. In another it might be better to break Magic and Faction power into separate things.

> - Tim : thanks for your advice and your words of encouragement. I will
> soon post a character description : a very good place to start with
> indeed.

Agree wholeheartedly.

> - David Dunham : as I won't try to have factions statted up, I will
> defintely follow your advice on plot augments and ritual magic (btw,
> thanks for giving page number !)

Ritual magic and Plot augments strike me as a very good way to handle lots of things.
LC