Re: Re: Definition of an action in an EC

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 21:36:45 -0700

On 1 Aug 2010, at 22:24, vurt500 wrote:

> The example is a long contest in which the participants state colorful variations how they use their abilities.
> But i dont see how these variations make any difference to the contest.

Frequently they don't, though color makes the game more fun. In general, mid-contest consequences (like dripping blood, falling down, back to the wall, hiding in cover) are covered by the relative Resolution Point scores.

> What they are basically doing is "i try to hit my enemy" hoping the victory will change the RP score.
> But the actual maneuver does not seem to make any difference.

Well, it depends. If you keep doing the same thing, then no. You're breaking the contest into multiple rolls to draw out the suspense (and allow for a multi-person contest where your friends may or may not be able to come to your aid).

But if you change what you're doing, then conceivably the resistance changes, or you are free to do other stuff. (For example, if you're in a fight, you might try to disengage so you can activate your distress beacon.)

There is no automatic mechanical adjustment (other than the variant of the optional Death Spiral rule on p.76). It requires clever narrative play.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein