Improving between sessions

From: Tim <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:58:33 -0000

Talking of improvements reminds me of an idea I first considered many years ago when I first heard Greg talking about "HeroQuest" (long before Robin Laws got involved). One of the things Greg suggested was that your game might (like Pendragon) span generations, and Players whose characters were part of their communities would end up with long term benefits over those who looked for short term gains

The example was you went on some sort of Humakti Heroquest. At the end you chose either a +10 "personal" improvement to your sword combat, or a +2 for your family. If the next adventure is for the same generation, then those who chose the personal improvement are much better off - but if the one after that moves on to the next generation then players who chose to aid the community will be reaping the benefits for the rest of the campaign

If you were playing this sort of game then you wouldn't be worried about improving skills through experience. Characters would rarely be continuing directly from one "scenario" to the next (they might use the saga "catch up" improvement rules though)