Re: A Couple of character Creation Questions

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:46:47 -0000

> What I don't quite understand is the use of your 9 ability selections to select "breakout" abilities from under the umbrella of your keywords. I thought that that would be handled by using one of your 20 points, not one of your 9 ability choices.

The reasoning is that sub-abilities are still abilities. If a player wants to refine her keywords by creating a few specialities, those should be treated as new abilities.

> Also, should a player be allowed to add 10 points to keyword, select a breakout ability under that keyword, and then add 10 additional points to the breakout ability? Theoretically, a starting character could have a 18W starting value for such a maximized breakout ability, albeit at a sacrifice to his verstility.

If I thought the player was doing this in good faith (ie was going to do her best to make such a specialized character playable) I would allow it but I would first warn the player that such a character might not be very playable.

> Also, I noticed some of the sample characters used their 9 ability selections to choose additional keywords. I think this is a good thing for modeling cool characters, but could be subject to abuse by a munchkin. Any thoughts other than just talking to the munchkin if the other players have a problem with it?

To me, the main abuse would be having a bunch of keywords without a good story reason ("I am a smith, a mercenary, a priest, a thief, a sage, and an entertainer! And I am both a Sartarite of the Isolting clan AND a Praxian of the Red Shields."). If players can come up with a story concept that passes the narrator's smell test (and generates opportunities for story lines), what's the harm with allowing a jack of all trades?

Jeff

Jeff