Re: A Couple of character Creation Questions

From: Henk Langeveld <henk_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:23:04 +0200

On 2010-09-22 02:59, Ryan:
> My current group is mostly from a strong simulationist style of play.
> Their system of choice is currently DND4e. Some would call some of them
> munchkins. They do like to kick the tires of a system and see if they
> can break it. Unbalanced characters seem to bother some of them. Others
> of them just want to have fun and don't care too much about the system.

[ ... ]

> Sorry for the long post. I want to run this game for my group and I
> worry about my munchkins trying to break it during character creation,
> not out of malice, but just as an experiment. I really want to get a
> handle on the default guidlines so I can consider carefuly deviating
> from them.

Yep, you can probably create a character with a really outrageous skill like 'Beat the hell out of the enemy' 18W, at the cost of a lot of other skills. Maybe not.

I don't think you should be worried about your group breaking the game during character creation. Just adapt the story accordingly, and give the adversary something like 'Pose as ally' 15W.

I think that the whole point of a narrative game is that it should be interesting to the players. In traditional DND, it pays of to have high skills, because you need the grind and attrition to achieve your goal. If that is what you want, HQ will get you there without the grind and/or attrition, leaving you to enjoy the ride.

The main twist in HQ is that the skill/dice don't decide what happens, they just tell you which options remain and which not. The group then gets to tell how that plays out. Can they turn that into an advantage?

And now I'm going to read what Jeff and David said :)

Cheers,

Henk