Re: Question about Simple Contests

From: Emmanuel Kanter <emi.kanter_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 23:43:47 -0200

i have a doubt

what if, let's say, fighter has a very powerful magic weapon, and wizard wants to cancel it with magic (disarm?)

can this simple contest has this outcome for the wizard in case he succeeds, and maybe another simple contest where he wants to murder the fighter, who now can't use the weapon?

I like this approach of a fight with more than one simple contest where different things are happening, as suggested in this link

http://www.rpg.net/oracle/essays/itoolkit4.html

I quote:

> Cards are played. You get a Success. You stab him. Blood his drawn. But
he's still up. Why? Your action is to kill him so you need a Full Success to kill him. If you wanted to disarm him the cards you had played might have been enough, because that's easier to do than to kill someone. So, you could try to disarm him, and then kill him, breaking the combat down into easier bits. This also breaks a fight down into specific, cinematic-style actions, making it more interesting than "I swing, you swing."

it's written for falkenstein, but I can see it adapting pretty well to HQ2

emi