Re: Re: Question about Simple Contests

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:22:10 +0000 (GMT)

The pass/fail cycle is only a guide - if there's something you feel that should be a real bitch to overcome make it a very hard resistance (or whatever the +9 one is) or nearly impossible (+w2) and use that. Using the pass/fail cycle is like a court of last resort where a resistance doesn't jump out at you and say "I'm so appropriate!" but you still want a contest [1].

I really wouldn't bother naming abilities that opponents have - just explain why the dice fall where they do. So during an extended contest you can say "The vampire's trying to lock it's eyes with yours" and the player can reply something like "I'm 'my own man', I'm not having someone else thinking for me" and get on with rolling the dice. Admittedly if you don't know what creatures can do then a list of their general capabilities might be in order but otherwise forget it.

If you're one of those people that have a view that everything in the gameworld stays constant (i.e. a skeletons are easier than zombies which are easier than wights and so on or "Doors that had a resistance of X to open three days ago should still have X") then a lot of the techniques in HQ2 aren't what you want to use. They're designed to work by setting the resistance based on how interesting success or failure are for the bunch of players as a whole based on exploring the player's agendas (clumsy word, couldn't think of a better one, sorry!) for their characters. Having said that loads of people were happy with the fixed resistance model that HQ1 and Hero Wars presented so the system can cope with it if you want it.

Cheers,

Ash

[1] Interestingly (at least for me) I've experimented with GMless HQ where we've just used the pass/fail cycle to set resistances and it worked surprisingly well. 'Go round the table, play out a conflict in turn adjusting the difficulty of the next one based on the success/failure of the previous and it plays itself.

> Final point: All this lot only matters when you're dealing with player
> characters against player characters. For most contests again the GM you won't

> bother specifying the GM character's ability, they'll just be an arbitrary
> resistance based on something like the pass/fail cycle or perhaps how
> interesting you think failure for the character would be - if failure's not
> interesting, don't bother rolling.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ash

I think this is likely to be the biggest beef I have with HQ2 over HQ1, though I'm still thinking it through. As far as I can see, setting resistances using the pass / fail cycle makes opponent abilities largely irrelevant. It doesn't seem to matter that you're fighting a hideous vampie sorcerer with a zillion augments and weird chaos powers - if the pass / fail cycle says the resistance says the exchange is Base -6, then regardless of what ability he uses, it's the same low resistance. I grok that you're supposed to select one of the vampire's abilities which will fit the low resistance you've selected credibly, but just at the moment I'm wondering if this isn't sacrificing a lot of crunchy monster flavour on the altar of the pass / fail mechanic. :-)

I think I'm happy with the Base Resistance in a session being related to how many sessions you've played for eyeballing general difficulties - say the resistance of spotting a secret door or overhearing a conversation in a maket place - but less so for critters with clealy defined abilities. For me it'd be losing a lot if you were fighting a trollkin, a dream dragon, and a vampire, and regardless of which one you chose they all had exactly the same ability score / resistance cos the pass / fal cycle said so. OTOH, I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of the pass / fail cycle modifying the critter's own abilities rather than using the modified session Base Resistance instead.

So, you're fighting a griffin on your first session, it has Exceptional Beak & Claws (High or Very High resistance, so Base 14 +6 or +9, ie 20 or 3W. Let's say 20). If the pass / fail cycle then says the present contest should be High resistance (Base +6), then you're modifying the Griffin's exceptional attack ability up by +6, not the session Base Resistance - so the Resistance the PC faces is in this case 6W (20+6), not 20 (14+6). That seems to preserve the differentiation between types of opponent's, imho, and allows tough fighters to attack the tough foes, etc. :)

Regarding not rolling if failure isn't interesting, I hear you :-).

Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying reaing the 2nd ed rules - thanks everyone for your explanations & help!

Cheers,

Sarah