Re: Question about Simple Contests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:47:19 -0800

On 25 Nov 2010, at 17:43, Emmanuel Kanter wrote:

> what if, let's say, fighter has a very powerful magic weapon, and wizard
> wants to cancel it with magic (disarm?)
>
> can this simple contest has this outcome for the wizard in case he succeeds,
> and maybe another simple contest where he wants to murder the fighter, who
> now can't use the weapon?

In some cases, you might want to have a preliminary contest: Disarm the Weapon.

But you're also describing a more complex (and thus potentially more interesting) situation, and it may be better resolved with an extended contest.

Finally, while it always depends on the context, our group tends to prefer that combats be resolved as extended contests, to avoid big consequences to your character from a single die roll.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein