Re: Re: Question about Simple Contests

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:14:07 +0000 (GMT)

Me: I really wouldn't bother naming abilities that opponents have -

Trotsky: But surely that's a large part of the fun of a HeroQuest game? Or is that just me?

I can't comment on whether it's just you but I don't bother even naming abilities anymore. I don't bring NPC abilities into conflicts the way David D. does for example as I usually describe NPCs in terms that don't have a lot of meaning inside of the game world, e.g. "Petronius - retired lunar Colonel, behaves like Prince Phillip in a Bradford sweat shop when talking to Sartarites". While I find abilities focus narration for me as a player - "Ha, I'm too 'resolute' to fall for that one" - I haven't found it helps when I'm GMing, it tends to get in the way as I'm scanning lists of abilities instead of concentrating on the players.

Cheers,

Ash