Re: Question about Simple Contests

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 22:04:45 +0800

At 6:59 PM -0800 25/11/10, ryancaveney_at_... wrote:
>Emmanuel Kanter wrote:> I like this approach of a fight with more than one
>simple contest
>

>I quite agree, but I apply it to almost all interactions. Anything
>that matters
>to the long-term story, or that is just interesting to see in detail for a few
>minutes, should not be resolved in a single die roll.

        I've been mostly using either simple contests or extended contests for combat so far, but I think I'm going to do more combats as multiple single contests.

        For example for a fight, one single contest for sneaking up, and seeing if you can ambush your opponents. A second for missile combat and closing. Then a third for hand to hand combat. The first contest gives a modifier for the second, the second can cause an injury (which will cause a modifier) for the third, the third determines the outcome. I guess running an extended contest, but putting controls on what abilities can be used in the first, second rounds, etc is a similar way of doing things.

        Extended contests for combats all too often use the same abilities over and over again. There are a couple of problems with that. One is that it is boring to play, boring to run. The other is that it rewards characters with a single high combat ability, which makes for boring characters.

	Cheers
		David