Re: Heroquest combat question (With long sample fight included)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:04:09 -0800

On 10 Jan 2011, at 19:09, sladehq wrote:

> 1. Did I run this contest correctly? My players loved it and were satisfied with the results.

Don't need to read anything else. Clearly yes.

> 2. My next question is: If my players decided to kill the man in black as their main goal would any success on their part (Marginal and on) have resulted in his death or would they need a complete victory? My take on it is this:

Since he's apparently a significant NPC, it would take a significant victory to kill him. Defeat means he is (for now) unable to act against the PCs, but I'd use the normal sort of consequences. Which may be lingering -- he might be at a disadvantage next time they meet.

If he were a minor obstacle (like a guard outside the king's chamber), any success might be enough. His fate isn't really important to the story, and if they PCs want a reputation as a killer, give it to them.

> BTW as a GM I felt a sense of liberation running HQ, all my prep (which wasn't much) was focused on advancing the story with my players, I only referenced the cheat sheet to figure out the resistance for the fight (which was a high resistance) and the rule book stayed in my bag the entire game. What a relief!

Good to hear it!

There's nothing wrong with looking up resistance, but after you play a few times, I'll bet you'll be able to come up with something appropriate based on story needs.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein