Re: Heroquest combat question (With long sample fight included)

From: orlanthumathi <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 20:44:06 -0000

> Narrator" ok on any success you will free your contact, however if you gain a major or complete victory you will also get the man in black. The man in black chooses to flee through a window (he is outnumbered and not stupid) while using his abilities to defend himself"

My own point of view is that defining the outcome of a contest before you actually make the roll is not ideal. For a new group this can help, to give everyone an idea of how things could pan out, but once you are all on the same page it is probably best to see how the dice come out and start tentative discussion of the narration when hero point expenditure is being considered.

Indeed, in the interests of speed I prefer even hero point discussions to be free of narration. There has been a great deal of discussion about "pre-narration issues" in various games over the last couple of years, and some groups swear by it, but in many groups it has lead to stale contests and too much discussion before the contest begins resulting in a style removed from the action.

Jamie