Re: Cave Troll Question.

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:43:55 -0000

> I don't have the book to hand at the moment to quote exactly, but the write up said something along the lines of the cave troll can regenerate and can only be defeated by acid, fire or a powerful strike (Complete Victory).

That is correct. Cut a limb off and eventually it regrows.

> Even if not directly stated, I am happy to assume this only applies to fighting the creature. If I chose to Run Away, its regeneration does not help it chase me and I manage to escape on any sort of victory, with the level of victory determining the consequences as normal - but I'm not sure what happens if I chose to fight it, don't use fire and don't achieve a complete victory.

Correct. However, all the writeup on page 142 says is they have the power of regeneration and nothing regarding the requirement of a complete victory (let me know if I missed something but that is what I recall writing).

A cave troll can be fought as normal. However, if you defeat it, after a while it gets better. Frex, the heroes defeat the cave troll and then check out the strange glyphs in the back of the cave, slowly translating them. They finish their translation and the Narrator informs them that the cave troll is back, and seemingly no worse for its previous wounds!

> In RQ The Cave Troll Regenerates HP
> In Hero Wars or HQ1, then in an extended contest it would "regenerate" AP's in some way, so the contest wouldn't end until the regeneration was dealt with.
> But I'm not sure how this works in HQ2.
> I guess if the Troll was handled by a simple contest then on anything less than a complete victory it can re-appear as an additional foe in any subsequent contest?

Yep. The point is that a cave troll "gets better" at some point after its defeat. Which can be a real pain in the butt for the heroes.

Jeff