Re: Cave Troll Question.

From: boztakang <danielmc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:22:28 -0000

Clearly the CORRECT outcome is that the troll wins, and the dirty human adventurers meet their inevitable fate (as delicious meat -yum!)

though i suppose your scenario could vary so...

> Can anyone help me with how they did/would/could handle this?

I would probably handle regeneration in a couple of ways, depending on what seemed neatest at the time.

Obviously, the cave troll is not likely to suffer any "lingering penalties" from physical combat. For major wounds or incapacitation, i'd probably give a penalty for the next round and then reduce it one "level" each round after. (assuming an extended contest where that level of narration and detail was interesting)

The other way is a simple ability.
Hero: "I smite yon foul beastie with Bladger, my Axe!" Narrator: "The wiley cave troll uses its regeneration to shrug off whatever wounds you give it, and tries to make off with your food stores."

Victory for the hero would represent an injury serious or painful enough to keep the troll from running off with the food, but anything short of complete victory would not "kill" it (though it will probably prefer to avoid the hero and his nasty old axe in the future)

Finally, regeneration is likely to factor into the "resistance rating" of an encounter. frex: pummeling a cave troll into submission with your fists is would be nearly impossible, instead of merely very hard as it might be with a similarly sized non-regenerating Great Troll. (assuming a human with heroic skill in fisticuffs - it goes without saying that a "normal" human would obviously lose to a one-armed senile trollkin 9 times out of 10)

The "right" method to use is the one that leads to the most memorable and interesting description of the encounter.

Hopefully some of these options will be useful to you )