Re: Newbie Rule Questions

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 22:01:45 -0700

On 3 Apr 2011, at 08:13, nick_warcholak wrote:

> 2. Page 57 talks about Improving Your Character. The text reads, "To raise an ability by 2 points at once costs 3 times the cost of raising it by 1 point, etc." This reads kind of odd to me,

Debated taking that out and simply disallowing increases over a point at a time -- nobody in our games has ever really wanted to increase that fast.

> I don't understand how this interfaces with the rules for increasing abilities referenced above. Like, say I want to raise a keyword by 2 points at one time.

Again, it's unlikely anyone ever will (these aren't character creation rules).

> 4. Page 62 says that certain relationships with supporting characters act as flaws. Do these count as flaws like described on page 14 (and count against the total number)? Do they have a rating then that describes how this "flaw" is used against the player?

If you can think of a way an ability will frequently be positive for your character, then it's not free.

> Page 57 says: "If your setting includes extraordinary abilities not found in the real world, these may be, in keeping with the fictional
> reality of the world background, restricted in either availability
> or rate of improvement."

The toolkit provides for this, but I'd recommend thinking long and hard about using it. It's probably more important to have player balance (everyone having an equal opportunity to shine in some fashion) than character balance (e.g. mages needing to give up all else to practice their art). I think this would only make sense if it were an extraordinary ability that every player character had (e.g. you're all mutants, but the mutant power is hard to raise).

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein