Re: Mastery

From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_...-csf.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 08:55:44 +0100

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>

> > I don't know if this has been discussed before, but wouldn't it be
> > logical to force a bump down on the other guy when a bump up on your
> > side is no longer possible ?
>
> I don't think this was ever playtested, and I think it's a bad idea.
> I can't imagine everyone who tries to attack Harrek fumbling (they
> die soon enough anyway).

If I'm not mistaken a fumble is not necessarily the same thing in HW that it was in RQ, it just menas failing miserably. And I can very well imagine every (or almost everybody) fumbling in front of Harrek just because of his aura and his legend. What would YOU feel going against Harrek ? Wouldn't you have deep feelings of martality ? shaking knees, sweating brow and trembling hands ? All the more reasons to fumble IMHO.

> It's likely that certain Chaotic monsters
> have this ability, however.

I agree that this is typically a chaotic ability, but I think that chaotics could force a bump down even without overwhelming mastery difference, which is very different.

From: NFranz197_at_...
> > Skill 20 = crit on 1, success on 2-19, fail on 20
> > Skill 1W = crit on 1, success on 2-19, fail on 20
>
> HOWEVER, 20 and 1W are still different in that the 1W character will have 1
> more AP (21 AP)!
> Other than that, fine. No game mechanic difference.

Using the rule I've proposed above, 20 and 1W become quite different, because on a 1, as it is already a critical and you can't bump up, you bump your adversary down (assuming he does not have any mastery), which _is_ an added advantage.

Philippe