Re: Masteries as Modifiers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:16:58 -0700

On 22 Jul 2011, at 21:23, Rob wrote:

> E.g., say it's session 10. The Base is set at 18. For a Nearly Impossible Resistance, the value is 18M2, yes? A PC with an Ability at 18M who faced such a resistance would have his mastery canceled out before the roll (and the resistance would drop one mastery as well). Now the roll is 18 vs. 18M--which means the PC is going to get a bump down after the roll.
>
> (For similar reasons, I sense that getting a Complete Victory on an augment roll turns an Ability of 18M into an 18M2.)
>
> I think I grok that. Subtracting a Mastery seems tougher to get. Using the same values from above, it seems clear to me that we're not subtracting 20 from the Base of 18 for a final Resistance value of -2. So what *are* we doing? What does the 18M player do?

How the resistance was determined doesn't impact the mechanics of rolling. If you have an ability of 18W and are rolling against 18W2, you cancel the lower mastery, and roll 18 vs 18W. The 18W will get a bump up. A bump down happens only if there's an "unused mastery" -- a natural critical.

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein