Re: Secrets & Arkat

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:35:49 +0100

> From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
>> As for Arkat ... reading the Glorantha book suggested that
>>he was not a particularly effective heroquester - just a persistant one. If
>>Harmast hadn't bailed him out he'd still be in the underworld.
>
> Hey, by that stage he had already mostly driven the cult of
>Nysalor out of both Fronela and Ralios, already become a knight of
>Hrestol in record time, and defeated any number of vampire kings etc.
>Then he came up against Lokamayadon, who defeated him - and we know
>that he was a very effective heroquester. Arkat was a very effective
>heroquester, just one with some very serious opposition.

I would define effectiveness as capacity to succeed rather than raw ability/skill/power. He failed quite frequently early in his career (unsurprising since he was trail blazing). He was immesnsely powerful, but attempting very tricky things.

>>I think his
>>success is largely attributable to the massive extraordinary support levels
>>from his followers.
>
> That thesis doesn't really hold up given Arkats habit of
>alienating the bulk of his followers at regular intervals.
> Arkat kicked arse.

Yes, though his old followers were alienated every time he got large numbers of fanatical new ones.

All speculation on my part ...

The rules (!) point is that there is no particular need to assume Arkat avoided Otherworld penalties and other costs of switching magic systems (so he isn't a very good example of "but Arkat did it, so the rules must be wrong"). The only definite ability that is noted is his capacity to avoid spirits of reprisal (and I think we already know that certain kinds of illumination can deliver that).

Thom