DnD4e to HQ2 (was Greetings)

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 16:34:40 +0100 (BST)

Hi Rob,

I wouldn't worry about doing a detailed conversion. When I converted from using D&D3e to what was then Hero Wars I found the only resource I needed for the conversion was a player's handbook while I was playing.

Just give the characters keywords that match their race and class and take it from there. The information in the player's handbook should enable you to do the credibility tests fairly easily. Say an Eladrin wants to win a conflict by appearing knowledgable about what's happened in the past. You can have a quick look in the PHB, see Eladrin get +2 history and say "yep, that sounds reasonable." The same goes for character classes.

So what I'm saying is don't waste your time formally writing out a lengthy list of abilities that each race and class keyword can encompass. If you and the players have played a fair amount of D&D 4e you should be alright.

Cheers,

Ash

PS: One way of doing the credibility test is when someone suggests something have a quick scan around the table. If there are aghast faces then something's interfering with their suspension of disbelief and it's a good idea to find out why. If it's because it grates against the system you're converting from then that's a good reason for you to make it a stretch or just say "How about changing the ability you use?"