Re: DnD4e to HQ2 (was Greetings)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 17:14:32 -0700

On 7 Aug 2011, at 00:32, Kevin Blackburn wrote:

> HQ2 relativity in skills I found a barrier to
> even completing reading the book, it's so against how I want to run
> games

Well, the most important guidance on determining resistance is that you, the GM, do it. The Pass/Fail cycle is a suggestion for cases when you, the GM, want some additional guidance.

Jeff

> We were supposed to roll Climb with all sorts of modifiers a dozen times to get into the Big Rubble. Maybe we did that once, but then it got boring - and the GM just waved his hands and we were in. HQ2 just legitimizes and formalizes what we were already doing.

Another Rubble example: the Adventurer's Forms. Our GM actually had us fill them out the first couple times, but then didn't bother. We all knew there was a hassle but it wasn't worth playing out over and over.

HQ doesn't offer guidance on when you can dispense with the Rubble forms, but it does try to offer a simple way to make the stories a little more dramatic.

David Dunham