Difficulty is about credibility not ability

From: newsalor <olli.kantola_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:05:00 -0000

Hello,

One of the first things you do, when starting a HQ2 campaign, is to come to an agreement on the style and genre of the campaign.

In the context of Glorantha, this could mean that you decide to play on the level of movers and shakers like Harrek and guys. It could also mean that genealogies are important and that every time someone is dies or is introduced they get mentioned, you know, like in the Illiad.

However, this would not mean that characters start out with abilities in the 4th mastery range. Instead, scattering Marble Phalanx could be a moderately difficult challenge and punching through the walls of Pavis could be very hard or something.

In my Sartar campaign the characters were larger than life. This culminated with the choice of the suitor to marry a real flesh and blood lunar woman instead of letting his god live through him and the bloody murder of the Earth priestess by another PC with the sword Wrath, because he couldn't take his friends place which he had coveted the whole time.

I'm planning a new campaign from the ashes of the old campaign. The next campaign is going to be more down to earth, so a bunch of broos or something will be a bigger issue. I'm going to use the same character creation etc. It really doesn't matter. This next campaign is about the new characters and dealing with the fallout that the "heroes" left in their wake.

The characters in the new campaign will probably grow in ability as well as as characters. However, the thing that will be a measure of their "level" is not their abilities, but their deeds. Essentially it's going to boil down to credibility.

You know, after they've beat up a bunch of broos or such, it really sounds like they can handle broos and so they should not be such a big of a bother. If I'd need something more challenging, then I could spice it up and make it an ambush or something, but I think you guys get the idea.

In a way, the things that get agreed on in the beginning of the campaign determine the credibility of things in the beginning of the campaign and it evolves from there.

Anyway, that's my take on the issue,

Olli Kantola

--
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being

 - C. G. Jung