Re: Pass-Fail Cycle with Assisting Characters

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 10:06:43 -0700

I liked your comments at <http://sarahnewtonwriter.com/2011/10/09/so-i-played-heroquest-2/>, particularly "You’re not rolling your ability against how good a given opponent or tasks is; you’re rolling against the *story*."

> We were using the Pass-Fail cycle. One of the characters took part in a contest "indirectly", by performing combat healing assists on the other characters. At the end of the contest, I could easily work out the victory / defeat level for those characters who had "actively" taken part in the contest, ie by fighting and racking up resolution points; I slotted those victory / defeat levels into the pass/fail track, all good.
>
> However, I was unsure how to calculate the pass/fail cycle for the healer. She made 4 separate combat healing assists in the contest: minor victory, minor defeat, minor victory, major victory. However, as she wasn't actually in a contest herself, she had no overall victory / defeat level.

Assists themselves have moderate difficulty, but additional assists get harder (right side of p.42). So that's like a mini-cycle, as it were. Assists, like augments, are unrelated actions, and I'm pretty sure these explicitly don't affect the pass/fail cycle.

Of course, the pass/fail cycle is a GM tool, and if you feel that the healer's actions were a big triumph, you'd be well within your rights to count this as a victory.

David Dunham