Re: Re: Armor and equipment

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:47:28 +0000 (GMT)

I lack generosity of spirit as a GM so I don't give characters bonuses for equipment (not just combat gear) they're using UNLESS it's significant enough to be an ability. However I do knock a chunk off when a character hasn't got the doo-dads implied by his or her ability.

The way I work out how much to knock off is to say that the lack of the proper gear implies a state of adversity - something's not optimal. If the lack of gear hurts their capabilities they're at -3, if it impairs it they're at -6, if it injures it they're bumped down and require a commitment roll and if it completely kills their chances they've failed a credibility test. Not having a shield hurts a Saxon Thegn's ability to fight in a shield wall. Without his glass cutter a burglar's housebreaking is impaired and a drag queen that's lost his costume and make-up is going to have to work up a lot of balls to go on-stage and hope sheer talent can carry him through. A knight forced to fight without weapons and armour and on foot is effectively dead as a knight.

Using states of adversity like this has got some really cool fictional benefits as well. At the end of a conflict you can describe how a Saxon Thegn's hurt is actually his shield being wrecked, a burglar's injured is getting through all their glass cutter blades and a drag artist's injured or dead is someone stealing or damaging his costume. A knight being overcome and captured (having his weapons and armour taken) in my book is far more interesting for the character to get out of than killing them. Instead of a smoking boot yelling "Medic!!" he's got to work out how to get enough gear to be effective again.

This is really another way of assigning situational modifiers but I like it as it explicitly makes states of adversity a two way street. A character can pick up a state of adversity by loosing a conflict OR by having something happen in the fiction of the game outside of a conflict. Giving your sword up at the door to the Tribal King's longhouse hurts or impairs your ability to use violence as much as someone giving you a wallop. Giving the scarf that your beloved gave you to another woman injures or kills your relationship with her as much as a bad argument at the end of a messed up contest.

It's a shame the rules didn't go completely general with states of adversity - all the stuff about situational modifiers could have been easily covered by them. Even so they're still a good rule of thumb for working out situational modifiers.

Ash